Guidance on Compliance
New to the page
Accounting, assurance and other related services
- ASPE Briefing: Section 3400, Revenue (CPA Canada, 2021)
- ASPE Briefing: Accounting for Investments (CPA Canada, updated 2021)
- ASPE alert: Accounting for related party financial instruments and significant risk disclosures (CPA Canada, 2019)
- Climate-related risks of an audit of financial statements: Audit and assurance alert (CPA Canada, 2021)
- Corporate governance: Ask the right questions (Directors’ guide 2020/21) (CPA Canada, 2021)
- Guide for practitioners: Roadmap to the CPA Canada Handbook - Assurance Tool (CPA Canada, 2021)
- Implementation tool for auditors: Revised CAS 315, risks of material misstatement (CPA Canada, 2021)
- Understanding assurance needs: A framework for the decision-maker (CPA Canada, 2021)
- Revised CAS 540: Guidance resources (CPA Canada, 2020)
- Understanding reports on financial statements: Audit, review and compilations (CPA Canada, 2020)
- Audit and Assurance Alert: CAS 540, Auditing accounting estimates and related disclosures (CPA Canada, 2019)
- Reporting implications of Canadian Auditing Standards (CAS) (CPA Canada, 2019)
- Practice inspection’s preliminary observations regarding the new review engagement standard (CPA Canada, 2018)
- Reporting implications of CSRE 2400 (CPA Canada, 2018)
- Review engagement practitioner client briefing (CPA Canada, 2017)
- Guide to Review Engagements (CSRE 2400) (CPA Canada, 2016)
- New standard on compilation engagements: What does it mean for tax work? (CPA Canada, 2021)
- New compilation standard: Guidance resources (CPA Canada, 2020)
Our suggested resources provide relevant information that addresses the global situation and the impact to the profession.
- AcSB COVID-19 resources: IFRS, ASPE and NFPOs (Accounting Standards Board, 2021)
- PSAB COVID-19 resources (Public Sector Accounting Board, 2021)
- COVID-19: Financial reporting implications and resources (CPA Canada, 2021)
- COVID-19 resources for not-for-profits (CPA Canada, 2021)
- AASB COVID-19 resources (Auditing and Assurance Board, 2021)
IAASB guidance for auditors during coronavirus pandemic (The International Auditing and Assurance Standards Board, 2021)
- COVID-19 key audit considerations and resources (CPA Canada, 2021)
- CPAB COVID-19 audit considerations and insights (Canadian Public Accountability Board, 2021)
- CSA COVID-19 updates (The Canadian Securities Administrators, 2021)
Tax and other relief measures
Ethics and ethical behaviour are the foundation of the trusted work of accountancy.
- Association with Non-Members (2021)
- Commission or Similar Compensation Arrangements (2021)
- Confidentiality of Information (2021)
- IESBA COVID-19 ethics and independence resources (International Ethics Standards Board for Accountants, 2021)
- Resigning From an Assurance Engagement (2021)
- Understanding How the CPA Code Applies to Members (2021)
- Ethics And Independence Considerations Relating To Covid-19 (2020)
Understand issues relating to charging and collecting fees as an accounting professional.
- Setting and Collecting Fees (2021)
Firm registration series
A series of articles that provide guidance on when a member is providing accounting services to the public, and would need to register a firm with CPA Ontario.
Accounting and finance professionals encounter fraud on a regular basis.
- An Ounce of Prevention: Combatting Fraud in Not-for-Profits (AICPA, 2020)
- How accountants can help fight money laundering (Pivot Magazine, 2020)
- Implementation tool for auditors: Testing journal entries & responding to the risk of management override of controls (CPA Canada, 2015)
- New anti-money laundering guide (CPA Canada, 2014)
Independence is a cornerstone of assurance engagements.
Understanding engagement risk is critical to public practice.
- Risk Management For Accountants – The Impact of COVID-19 on Assurance Engagements (CPA PLI Plan, June 2020)
- IFAC Guide to Practice Management for Small- and Medium-Sized Practices (IFAC 2020)
- AGM Roles and Rules for Public Accountants (2018)
- Surprise! Compilation Engagement Claims Exist (AICA 2011)
- The Risks of Auditing a Credit Union (AICA 2009)
- Let the Good Times Roll but be Wary of the Increased Risk (AICA 2006)
- Notice to Reader: Limited Responsibility with Potentially High Risk (AICA 2005)
Public accounting, taxation, wealth management and election guidance.
Planning well in advance of potential problems in your practice is crucial. Here are some things you need to know.
The issues of cloud computing, cybersecurity and privacy have sweeping implications.
- How Automation can Improve Audit Quality - and Speed up the Process (CPA Canada, 2021)
- The Data-Driven Audit: How Automation and AI are Changing the Role of the Auditor (CPA Canada, 2020)
- 20 Questions Directors Should Ask About Cybersecurity (CPA Canada, 2019)
- 3 things you need to do before moving to the cloud (CPA Canada, 2019)
- Cloud computing: Benefits and risk management (CPA Canada, 2019)
- Cybersecurity and Data Protection (CPA Canada, 2019)
- Cybersecurity bulletin for directors (CPA Canada, 2019)
- Guidance on Managing Cyber Risks in a Digital Age (COSO, 2019)
- ERM for Cloud Computing (COSO, 2012)
- COSO Guidance on Operational Performance, Internal Control, Enterprise Risk Management, and Fraud Deterrence (COSO)
Certain links on this Site take you to other websites, resources or tools maintained by third parties over whom CPA Ontario has no control. CPA Ontario provides these links only as a convenience and is not responsible for the contents of any linked website. CPA Ontario makes no representations or warranties regarding, and does not endorse, any linked website, the contents thereof, the information appearing thereon or any of the products or services described thereon. Links do not imply that CPA Ontario sponsors, endorses or is affiliated or associated with the entity that owns or is responsible for any linked website. If you decide to visit any linked websites, you will do so at your own risk. CPA Ontario bears no responsibility whatsoever for the content, accuracy or security of any websites that are linked (by way of hyperlink or otherwise).